Thursday, April 25, 2019

Truthfully

I like to paint from pictures more than from life, a lot, lot more, so I avoid painting from life unless I am in a  class or something. Although, I would like to do some plein air painting. In order to grow, I've finally realized that both are necessary and needed. So that I don't completely avoid painting from life, I am going to do a minimum of 2-3 paintings from life each month.

Last night, I purchased some food for tonight's dinner. That meant one shot at painting the red pepper, which should become part of tonight's chicken and green curry dinner. This was a semi-timed painting. I'm in the middle of a cat painting, but last night was a good opportunity to paint from life.

#330 - Red Pepper - 6" x 6" - paper
I like the form and volumes in the top and right side about as much as I don't like the paint stroke hugging the middle of the pepper from the left to the center.

Something is currently happening with my painting and drawing. I feel like my mark-making vocabulary or something like that has either expanded or improved somehow and I am enjoying how this feels, while it lasts. When I first started trying to draw and paint, it felt like there was a solid, impenetrable wall between me and what I wanted to learn and do. Today, the wall seems just as thick, but it seems to be made up of a number of curtains or veils and that one of the many, many ones recently dissolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment