Monday, April 15, 2019

Different Paint Brushes

I decided not to work on a specific painting today, but rather to play with some different brushes. Getting over GPS (goopy paint syndrome) opens new possibilities.  I did 4 quick, not very accurate, drawings of a portion of a monarch butterfly wings and tried painting them with 4 different brushes.



The obvious conclusion is that the filbert brush was a terrible choice. No surprise there. Mostly as I kept working with the different brushes, I found myself really thinking about how to use a brush more effectively for a sharp line or edge versus fill in color more broadly.

Just as the first time I dabbled with using different paint colors helped me learn how to better mix color with my regular palette, I hope this will give me some ideas and things to think about and work on with my paint strokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment