Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The Editing Eye

It's the first day back to work in the New Year. I'm working from home and not motivated at all. I've been surfing art / creativity related blogs for the past 20 minutes or so. I'm not sure what I was looking for, but I think I found it. Also after this blog post, I am going to start my paid work.

Boo-boos in drawing impact my confidence in a deeper way than in painting. For painting, I've figured out a drawing process that mostly works for me when I am working from a picture, grid lines! I love them. However, I also want to paint and draw from life. That's the reason for the sketches and also for taking the drawing class that starts next week.

When I look at one of my drawings, the critical voice in my head is different and meaner than when it involves a painting. I stumbled across the blog of Roz Stendahl, a local artist and started looking at some of here posts. This one really spoke to me. The critic in my head is bad. I need an editor in my head, along with outside resources to help me learn.


It's easy for me to find multiple faults with my work.In yesterday's drawing, the length of the head of the broccoli versus the smaller stalks and bigger stalk was off. With my cat drawings, the heads are typically too small relative to the body. I try to measure, but it doesn't end up right on the page. I could go on and on and on. The critic has a lot to say. Instead, I hope to develop an editor that I can turn to, instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment