Saturday, January 7, 2017

Recap 1 - Kitchen Item Drawing Challenge

When I first decided to do a 30 day drawing challenge, I was going to wait and do one big post at the end of the 30 days. That would be a very, very long post. Instead, I decided to break it up into periodic recaps. instead.

For this challenge, the goal is to draw one kitchen item per day in approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Cats in the kitchen qualify as a kitchen-related item. Drawing with pen in five to ten minutes has aspects that are both enjoyable and a bit stressful.

Day 3 - broccoli

Day 1 - stand mixer
Day 2 - vanilla jar
On day 2, my initial start was an ellipse, for the top of the jar, that was too circular. The ellipse needed to be flatter. After measuring, I drew a second ellipse that was closer to the actual dimensions. Measuring before you draw is a better approach!

 For some reason, I am enthralled with broccoli. I expect to draw and consume a lot of broccoli over the next several weeks.

Day 4 - toast-burning toaster
This toaster's days may be limited. The one thing it does best is consistently burn toast, no matter the setting that you select. I enjoyed trying to use hatch marks to denote shape.

Each  morning, I am looking forward to picking up a pen and paper and drawing for 5 to 10 minutes. This is not great art or great drawings, but it gives me the opportunity to learn by doing. You make decisions about how to to capture an aspect of your subject. If it works, great!  If it doesn't, you can step back and evaluate what to do the next time.

I firmly believe that I can learn more by doing a little each day, rather than cramming in a bunch of time on the weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment