Wednesday, May 16, 2018

The Most Prolific Flower In My Yard

If you have 'em, you might as well use 'em.

#217 - Mug With Dandelion - 6" x 6" - hardboard
The background and mug were done with one stroke per color, which means there are a lot of strokes where the color did not change much or where the stroke was very   l    o    n    g. The flower was just painted (and painted over and over and over), plus I had to touch up the shadows with gesso. I'm not sure what's the best way to do a ragged-edged shadow of a flower.

This morning, this mug was sitting on my kitchen counter. As I walked by, I stopped to take a look. The values, shadows, and highlights were so much nicer than when I actively try to set up something to paint. Plus, there was a lovely reflection and the inner lip had a green tone to it. I suppose I could have set up a still life and painted it in place. Although, I'm not inclined to do that with cats in the house. Also, currently, I want to paint from life rather than from photos.

1 comment:

  1. I learned today from the PhD student studying gladiolus that yellow flowers are always just yellow. No yellow/white, no yellow/red. Just yellow. Dandelions, daffodils, etc. And last night I learned at the prairie that flowers have their own time. One week (or some time interval) the prairie will be all something and the next week all something else and the week after something else again. Great use of our friendly yard plant! I can't wait to see what you do with creeping charlie!

    ReplyDelete