Monday, May 7, 2018

A Peachy Finish

I am fairly pleased with the colors, background, shadow, and highlights. An unexpected benefit of trying to create interesting shadows is that I'm not filling up the painting with the subject matter. For some reason, I always want to maximize the size of my subject matter and that doesn't make the overall scene very interesting.

However it wasn't supposed to end like this. The end result looks like a peach, but I was painting a murcott mandarin with a very flat top.

#211 - A Peachy Finish - 6" x 6" - hardboard
I can see, in a way that I haven't before, how paint strokes really make the shape read correctly (or not). I lack an intuitive sense about this, so I guess it's time to experiment and play. Let me rephrase that. I give myself permission to paint (and post) awkward looking items as part of figuring this out.

Paint strokes and their direction is yet another element to consider in this vast sea of skills to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment