Monday, May 21, 2018

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

I've had several productive and good weeks with painting. On Thursday and Friday, it felt as though I took two steps backwards and I was not happy about that. On Saturday, I lowered my expectations and just drew out something to paint the next day. My biggest problem has been that I've been tired...really, really tired. When I reach a certain point, my ability to evaluate shapes and values, mix colors, or make paint strokes goes down the tubes.

In addition to the normal day-to-day stuff of life, it's gardening season. On top of that, my household has been getting ready for a garage sale. My neighborhood had Garage Sale Days on Friday and Saturday this past weekend. It's an annual neighborhood tradition.  On Saturday, we had a what we called a reuse sale, since we were only charging 25 cents per item.  It was a lot of work getting ready and setting up for the sale, but it was a good way to put things back out in the world with people who will hopefully use them.

On Friday, my sweetie and I took the day off as usual. We have a tradition of wandering the 'hood and check out random sales. We have lunch while we are out and about. After lunch, I'm usually done. This year, that meant it was time to do more to get ready for our sale. This year I picked up an oak rocker for $2, which needs work, plus some artwork.

I knew that Michael Sweere lived in the neighborhood, but I didn't know where. Well, we stumbled upon his household's garage sale. He was selling some old oil paintings, mostly from the '90's for a ridiculously inexpensive amount and I purchased three of them. The bottom one makes me especially happy.




Plus, I got to meet him. He was working in his studio which is built onto his garage.

Now it's time to show my work.

#218 - Ella - 6" x 6" - hardboard
I got too fussy again. After this one, I decided that I need to start doing small thumbnail studies in order to think about composition and values. Even though my next subject was fairly simple, doing the thumbnail sketch first helped. Ever since I took the online drawing class last year, I've known that I should start doing thumbnails and I've been completely resistant to doing them. I've finally reached the point where I just need to add this to my process. I drew this out on Saturday and painted it yesterday.

#219 - Block Island Swan - 6" x 6" - hardboard
I forgot about my new resolve to do thumbnail sketches prior to painting and just painted today. The end result was not good and is going to be re-gessoed before it is ever shown. Must remember my new commitment to do a preliminary sketch first.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What great finds! I love how taking painting classes and learning the language makes me appreciate the work of others (and to be able to talk about it if one dares/or has to). The cloud shadows and hay bale ellipses! Ella is adorable and your water looks like water in color and glimmeriness.

    ReplyDelete