Friday, May 11, 2018

Have You Ever Become Obsessed With A Mandarin?

I got a little obsessed after my last painting where the murcott mandarin looked like a peach. I did one painting each day the last 4 days, where I tried to play with paint strokes in order to capture that flat top with that round body. These were slow and fussy paintings (on purpose). The order was from the top left in a semi circle around. I'm not sure that I am getting it, but it's good to have thoughts about paint strokes floating around in my brain.

#212 (collectively) - 8" x 8" - paper
However, all of  this focus left me feeling tight, so this morning I did 4 different 10 minute paintings of the same piece of fruit. The total time (drawing and painting) was 10 minutes. In each one, I only marked a center grid line, while I usually divide my grids into 4 equal pieces. The mandarin was positioned stem up for the first two paintings and stem down for the last two. The non-stem side had a lovely concave depression in the center.

In the last one, I didn't have time to finish the shadow. I missed doing the highlights in #2 and #4. The third one looks much better as a picture, especially the concave part. 

#213 (collectively) - 8" x 8" - paper
I am ready to move on and paint something besides this, or any other, mandarin.

3 comments:

  1. Nice lively mandarins! #213 has great backgrounds and shades. I've been struggling and the decided not to paint over my baby poop mug so I'd have something to work against repeating. The coop has some beautiful red bartlett pears from Argentina. I bought two to paint and they got kind of squashed in my motorcycle bag. I also brought home a purple top turnip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be fun to see what you have been working on!

      Delete
    2. You can see them on my blog that I started in January when I first started the class. The blog is about stuff I make including bread and a few odd sewing projects but mostly painting. It includes a few swear words here and there and frustrations. Here's mine: https://brushesanddough.blogspot.com/

      Delete