Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Stretch Goal

The lilacs are fleeting each year, especially when they are just starting to flower so that each clump contains both flowers and buds.

I did this painting in one sitting. It took 1 hour and 10 minutes and, yes, I did take several short breaks.

#216 - Lilacs in vase - 6" x 6" - hardboard
This painting was a stretch. While I don't mean to sound whiny, there were so many decisions to make, especially about how much detail to include. When I was done, the leaves were too close in value to the background, so I adjusted them. Now that it's finished, I can see things that I would do differently. Instead I am focusing on my growth, since 6 months ago it would have been much harder to tackle than it was today. Also, I painted this with the mindset that I was going to enjoy the process and just practice (take that internal critic).

Lastly, there is something magical about trying to paint a new subject for the first time. You are out there without any prior experience or preconceived notions, so you just have to start and go for it.

1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful! I haven't even thought of attempting a flower because of the complications/decisions! Your vase is so shimmery and clear.

    ReplyDelete