Friday, January 26, 2018

I Am Not Sure I Like It, But It Does Draw Me In

This started as a 4-value painting. I added some background to the left side, which was lighter and helped define this edge of the cat. Once I did that, it kept evolving. I am not sure what to think. From a good viewing distance, it draws me in somehow, but the eyes don't line up right and I can't decide if the nose/lips/chin works or not. When I was in 4-value land, this area was all the darkest dark, so I didn't have to worry about it originally.

#178 - Value Cat - 5" x 7" - paper - alternative palette
When I was getting near the end, I was pleased with my color-mixing. I wanted grayish greens and yellows for the eyes and I wanted a dark "white" for the cat's ruff under his chin. Until recently, I would have painted this far too light and far too white, because I either could not see or understand that the white part of a cat is not always white and it's not always a light color. It's all about the values. I have a feeling when I'm done with the watercolor class, my conclusion will that it's all about controlling the water. Of course, these are over-simplifications, but it seems if I keep one simple concept in mind it gives me a foundation to branch out to tackle other aspects.

I also started my next painting and gave myself a new "challenge". For quite some time, I've only been painting on paper and it's time to change that. I am going to paint on hard board for every painting or every other painting until I've completed at least 4 pieces on hard board. When I look at the hard board, I think "I'm not ready". Also, I have been working on paper until I thought I could paint a good (which the internal critic changes to "perfect") painting of Ella, one of my elderly cats who has several health conditions.

Here is the start of the first one. I just decided to take the plunge and tackle a painting of Ella. The drawing turned out and the start is going well.


No comments:

Post a Comment