Tuesday, January 2, 2018

First Drawings Of 2018

While I have continued drawing every day since I took the online drawing class with Roz in May, I got away from having any focus these last several months. I want to get back to having goals and working to gain more skills. One giant area I want to focus on is how to show depth, volume, and weight in my drawings and of course, this also means tackling values and value shapes. When I draw, I mostly stick with the outer edges of the different pieces of whatever I am drawing. It's time to tackle the interior and that means I need to be willing to experiment and think about what works and what does not.

Yesterday, I played around and drew some peppers. They are great for practicing, since they have such interesting changes in their interior sections. I didn't focus so much on values. Rather, I wanted to play with hatching to show shape. On the section in the front, the side to side marks don't work and I'm not sure why. There is a distinct and I thought it would work to make marks like this. I don't have an intuitive sense for this at all, so it's time to experiment and also look on-line for other people's drawings to study.


Next up, I decided to just focus on the stem. After that, I drew the outside dimensions. I was going to go farther with this, but I really liked how it looked.


No comments:

Post a Comment