Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Great Blue Heron

My friend, Jeff, takes the most incredible nature shots and does not mind if I pull down his pictures on social media and use them to paint. This is a great blue heron. I enjoyed setting up the drawing, especially the neck. As much time as I spent trying to capture the curve, weight, and relationship of the neck and head of the flamingos at the Como zoo this summer, I never quite got it. While these are two different birds, there are similarities in the head and neck areas.

#180 - Great Blue Heron - 8" x 10" - on paper
What I like best is the portion of the neck at the top of the "S" curve towards the middle.

Since this one was on paper, my next one needs to be on hardboard. Also, I was making great progress on my painting of Ella, but I went too far with it several days ago. I gessoed out the parts which were annoyed me and put it aside to rest for a day or two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment