Friday, October 14, 2016

It Was A Good Night

Painting can be such a weirdo, weirdo brain thing.  Every now and then, my brain is in the right time and place and it all is so much easier than at other times.  It doesn't mean perfection or a good result. It just feels different and the process works better.  It was especially strange that it happened last night, since I was tired.  

My first painting went okay, but I erased a lot as I was drawing my subject.  That was ridiculous since my model was a green tomato.  Drawing it shouldn't require the use of an eraser, when I am using a viewfinder with grid lines and a surface with grid lines. When I was done with the tomato painting, I decided to do a second painting and revisit the garlic.  For that one, I didn't fret.  I just drew. While doing both paintings, I didn't think. I just painted.  It felt good. 

For the tomato painting, the thing that I like best is the position of the tomato.  It's just a tomato, so it's not a super exciting painting.  However, positioning it in the lower right corner makes it much more interesting.  Also, I am happy with the color of the tomato and the stem.


For the garlic painting, I decide to paint the stripes of the garlic.  I decided to use a different shape of paint stroke for the background, but played with keeping  the values of the garlic and the background fairly close just to see how it would turn out. It was a fun and I like the energy in this one. 




No comments:

Post a Comment