Thursday, July 6, 2017

Three Months Of A Twelve Month Series

At the Minnesota State Fair grounds, there is a historic bust on the porch of one of the buildings. Since I am on the fair grounds for work, I decided back in May to draw this historic bust every month for one year, using whatever medium I want. Each time I do this, it's literally a snapshot of where I'm at and what I can do at this point in the journey. Sometimes if I feel stuck or on a plateau, this type of post helps remind me why it's important to keep working and practicing.

The first time that I tried was back in May at the start of the one-month online drawing class that I took from Roz Stendahl.


The second time was at the beginning of June. This took around 15 minutes.   


Today, I warmed up with several gesture sketches and did this sketch in about 15 minutes. It was really warm on the porch. I guess I didn't consider that when I made the 12 month goal. While I still have a lot of room for improvement in capturing the actual object that I'm drawing, I like how much looser this one is than the one from one month ago. There's something a little cheeky about it and there's better depth and shape to the face.


4 comments:

  1. These are great. And what a great way to observe your own progress. I think this is one of the reasons for drawing and painting the same subjects over and over again, but I like that you've given yourself a schedule (once a month) to collect your milestones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! By the way, I am a fan of the work that you post on the DP FB site.

      Delete
  2. Robin! These are a great demonstration of your patience with yourself and your progress! I can't wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I credit the initial set of painting classes that I took with you as a big reason that I've had the courage to continue. You made it not scary. Plus, your advice to stick with the drawing and not to rely on tracing paper when painting was spot on.

      Delete