Friday, January 31, 2020

Not Much To Share

My art-making has not been occurring daily, but I have been drawing and/or painting here and there. I  don't have much to share. Currently, I am working on an 11" x 14" painting on paper. It's one of those that I feel more like I'm fighting with than creating. I've painted over sections. While I am determined to finish it, it won't get posted here. As negative as this may sound, it's been good to paint large for a change.

Last night, I did pull out my watercolors and just did an imaginary pear, as an excuse to play.There are a lot of layers in this. I played around with essentially making hatch marks with the tip of a round brush when the painting was still damp and liked the effect.



That led to going back to an earlier pear and layering over that one and playing off to the side.


I still don't get this medium, but will have a chance to play with it when I'm out of town for a week starting on Thursday. It's easier to bring watercolors on a plane.

Cross hatching in the drawing side of the world has not been enjoyable. I think I am stretching too far outside my abilities, so it's time to take several steps back, since I am determined to learn.

At lunch time, I watched one of Alphonso Dunn's videos. He has a lot of them. I have watched a few in the past and they are good. I just don't always have the patience to sit and watch. Anyway, I think I'm going to trying drawing objects as their most basic shapes and experiment with cross hatching in the basic shapes to get better at the mechanics of cross hatching and seeing how to follow the shape / form of an object. There's no pressure to draw the object, just the shapes within the object and there's certainly no pressure to finish a drawing.

For painting, I could use some sort of focus, but I think that will have to wait until after I'm back from next week's trip and the MONDO juggling and unicycle festival is done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment