Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Hummingbird Happiness

I started this on Friday and finished it yesterday, since I worked it slowly in bits and pieces, and didn’t even paint on it yesterday. Today, I redid most of the non-flower part of the feeder. My values were off a lot in this part. I had painted it too dark, since I didn’t want to believe what my eyes were seeing. When I checked it against a value finder, I could finally “see” how off I was. On Friday night when I was at Kat’s studio, she helped me “see” that I made this same error with the background of my recent painting of Dorian. When I made the background lighter, the painting worked much better. Darn eyes or, more accurately, darn brain, which wants to get in the way.

#364 - Cabin Hummingbird - 6” x 6” - hardboard

This is my favorite hummingbird painting, so far.

It may be a cop out that I didn’t paint the background, but I like the black gesso. It’s dramatic. Plus, the actual background was a lighter brownish-red and I didn’t think it would add to the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment