Monday, May 1, 2017

Today's Understanding

Thoughts From This Morning:
The 30-day brush pen challenge is on hold or it might just be over. It's going to be more than enough to keep up with my on-line class. I'm not sure how much time I will have to post about it. At a minimum, I plan to write quick summaries of what I'm learning. It helps me cement it into my head.

After watching yesterday's material, I really did not get gesture drawing. I forged ahead and did yesterday's homework, anyway. I, along with many others, mostly emphasized contours, rather than gestures. This morning there was a Gesture Drawing Momentum Memo from the instructor with some additional ideas and thoughts about gesture drawing. I'm still not sure that I get it, but the memo was helpful.

After reading the memo and thinking a bit, today's understanding (completely in Robin language) of how to begin to think about gesture drawing is to look for or think about the main support beam or tipping point of an object. This supports the outer frame or shell.  Next, think about the outer shell as though it's draped in a a cloth. It's okay to see or draw shapes, but don't get into the details.

Again, this is a recap of one part of the instructor's materials in Robin language.

Homework And Thoughts From This Evening:
Here are a couple today's gesture drawings. The one in ink is from the lunchroom at work today. This was a person hold a phone and scratching her head. The others are from tonight's juggling club. I figured that these are movements that I am familiar with and many of the movements get repeated.


This is very different drawing than contour drawing. I'm drawn (yes, the pun was intentional) to the one in the lower right hand corner. The arms and head show juggling movement to me. I did not try to include the props being juggled.

I wish I would have make darker marks with my pencil!

No comments:

Post a Comment