Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Gesture Drawing

Class is proceeding along at a fast clip. The commitment is to do 30 minutes of homework drawing each and every day. There are a couple of longer homework segments that will come later. New course content drops twice per week.

The last three days have focused on gesture drawing, which is new to me. It's also a challenge. When I started taking painting classes, I realized that some people's brains think more in shapes. I had never really thought about it and this came as a surprise to me. My brain does not work this way, plus I tend to go for the details in life. This does not mean I won't ever figure out gesture drawing. It just means it's going to take time. I plan to keep plugging away at it as part of warming up. New course content drops tomorrow, so homework will focus on new things.

All of this is pushing me outside of my comfort zone. If left to my own devices, I'd keep plugging away at gesture drawing, but class is moving on and so will I. At the same time that I am feeling uncomfortable, I also have a lot of trust in the course.

Today was the first time, I worked on sketching in public. I went to my local food cooperative and sat at a table near the entrance. This is the sketch that I liked the best. I felt very self-conscious and this is one of the few where I was able to put the feeling aside. It's a toddler sitting in the top of a grocery cart.


Oh heck, I might as well also show one of the full pages. It's challenging to see a whole and not go to contours.



No comments:

Post a Comment