Thursday, February 25, 2021

Hurrah! February Is Almost Over

Back in college, my favorite professor would bring donuts to her classes on the last day of February to celebrate that the month was coming to an end. I mostly believe in letting things be as they are and not wishing away time to pass more quickly than it should, however February can be a trying month and February in a pandemic is even more trying. 

On a personal note, something switched several days ago. I think it’s the combination of some sunny days, warmer temperatures (although I do love snow and am a little sad when it melts) and longer days. When I’ve been waking up in the morning, I’ve just been feeling more like myself with both a little more spark and a little more energy.  

Given where we are in the pandemic, I’m not expecting to see things change in a macro way any time soon, but I can see where things have changed and will continue to change in a micro way. Meeting people for socially distanced walks outside is doable again. When I go out walking, I run into neighbors more often and we stop and chat for a minute. I know people who have gotten vaccinated and rather than be envious, I think with every vaccine which is given and every day which passes where people are being vaccinated, it’s getting closer for both me and the hubby. I’ve started the seeds in the basement which need a long time to grow, such as leeks and some of my herbs. At some point, juggling club will start meeting in the park again. Yes, this is last on is still ways off, but the overall trend of all of this is positive.  

From an art-marking perspective, I’ve been working on portraits or facial features all month. I’ve mostly focused on the  Loomis method from the Sktchy class. Yesterday, I watched and followed along to the video where we worked through a profile view together as a culmination of the prior lessons. Today, I worked solo using the same source picture.  The next several days, I plan to finish up class with the straight on view and 3/4 view.  

Overall, progress has seemed slow and resemblance is still a big issue, but I’m pleased with where I’m getting by showing up and working each day. I think I will continue with portraits in March. 

No comments:

Post a Comment