Saturday, February 6, 2021

I Can See Clearer Now

 I’m not quite to declaring that I can see clearly now, but I do think I can see clearer now.  Working through Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain was a good thing to do. Even better has been deciding on a monthly project and doing around 60 minutes of work each day.  On most days, I watch or read something to help with learning for about 1/2 the time and draw the other 1/2. 

Today, as part of my daily project, I decided to draw the major and minor planes of the nose from a picture drawn by the Sktchy instructor where I am learning about the Loomis method. 



Look at all of these fussy little shapes, angles, and so on.  I was be-bopping along with drawing these when it suddenly occurred to me that I was seeing things in a different way, which meant I was able to draw both of these with very little rework to get all of the pieces to fit together.  

After that, I took a bit of a break and returned to do my monthly project.  I have pledged to do a self-portrait sometime in the first week of each new month in 2021 and maybe beyond.  


I procrastinated on starting it (could the mirror be in a better place, should I adjust the easel, do I need better light).  I also fussed over it.  My goal was to try to take what I’ve learned so far about the Loomis method and to try and draw a self portrait.  

While there’s only a very vague resemblance to me, I am not bothered by that. Instead, overall, I’m pleased with the proportions and very happy about some individual pieces like the nose.  It’s really a nose.  

I could not have done anything close to this prior to using monthly projects as a way to focus and learn in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment