Friday, February 12, 2021

Wolfie Contemplates the Choices He Has Made In His Life

So far, I have heard back from 4 people, who have given me permission to draw from their photos of a cat in a hat. Meet Wolfie. To me, he looks as though he (or maybe she, I don’t know) is contemplating every choice he has every made in life which has led him to this point. Actually, he looks like a good-natured cat who is hoping this will be over soon. 


This project is going to be a fun challenge. For this one, I had to make up the body below the chin, since the cat was being held by a person and because of that, I also had to jazz the background. It also was challenging to figure out how to try and capture values of a dark gray and white cat in an interesting manner.  Lastly, it was way different trying to capture this hat rather than the brioche hat in my first drawing which start all of this. Simple brioche knitting looks like columns and that was easier to do. 

That doesn't take away any of the fun of this project or working on this drawing.  

In closing, it always surprises me when eyes are in shadow, how little is needed to capture them. I also really like the right side of the face (which is lighter).  The value transitions built believable volume and shape, especially on that side.  

1 comment: