Monday, February 8, 2021

The Nose Knows

If a corny blog post title pops into my head, that’s the one I use. Specifically, if the left side of my own personal CPU (central processing unit - - I just spent a week having unfamiliar acronyms tossed at me, so even though I think most people would know this is the brain of the computer, I feel the need to explain it) unit in my head offers up a title which is silly, absurd, amusing to me, or alliterative......in it goes. 

As I continue this journey into the visual arts, the idea that there are two sides of the brain or that the big CPU up there divides tasks and has preferred areas to assign where certain tasks get done makes a lot of intrinsic sense to me, although I do not know if any of this is true and also don’t really know how it works. The veracity of my ideas and thoughts here versus those of a brain scientist probably have as much in common as the ideas or tenets of pop psychology versus actual psychology.  

Still, I write on because, at times, I can feel something different happening in my brain and my layperson’s understanding of the left and right sides offers a reasonable explanation.  

So enough about the left side for now, aside from using it to continue writing.  

This morning I woke up thinking about noses.  That’s not exactly it.  Noses were the subject matter, but the bigger picture was the relationship of transitioning from a 3-d object to a 2-d representation while also consider the underlying structure beneath the top layer of the 3-d object. This does make me sound a little crazy, but it’s the best way I can explain it and I am quite certain that it’s happening on that right side of my brain. I don’t have words for this.  It was something intuitive going on in my head. I could feel this jumble of better understanding between a real 3-d nose, the anatomy under the nose, and trying to capture it in a 2-d way, all trying to gel in my head. It’s really freaky and also pretty magical.

Something did gel and I can't explain that part  It’s not done. I don’t get it. There’s still a lot to learn about noses (eyes, hair, mouths, ears, everything), but I’m in a far different place than I was on Thursday.  

This is a nose that I drew on Friday and I was just placing a simplified extraction on top of a Loomis-head type structure. It was purely mechanical.

Following this drawing up with yesterday’s work including the self-portrait, the reason for understanding a bit about anatomy started to make sense, even though I haven’t started the one on anatomy.  When I signed up for the Sktchy classes, it made zero sense to me, but I kept reading or hearing on videos that artists think this is important, so I figured it would make sense at some point.  

Still, it’s strange to me. There’s also just drawing from pure observation which should also get you accuracy, but for me I think I need the support from the Loomis method, learning a bit about anatomy and all of that. I don’t think pure observation is enough for me. If I keep working, maybe my visual skills will improve enough at some point. 

So this morning was a jumble of 3-d, 2-d and anatomy and it also made me wonder how well experienced artist can tackle something from a photo when they have no experience with the subject matter. Their observation and skill would get them to something good, but would there be a missing essence?

No comments:

Post a Comment