Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Sketching Anxiety

At the last painting class, two people shared some of their sketches. Their sketches were really lovely. I especially liked when a partial or entire scene was captured and also when a sketch was finished even though the object (a cat) moved.

In painting or drawing, I mostly focus on one object at a time. At some point, I need to start working with more objects and also address composition. For now, I leave that to the future. At present, there are basic drawing issues to address. Outside of a narrow comfort zone, I'm wary of drawing and sketching. I'm most comfortable with either drawing something to paint (from a picture or using a viewfinder) or blind contour drawing.

Last night, I tried to draw my back door and door jam. The door has panels and a window. I tried using my pencil to measure and compare the different pieces to themselves. It was a bit too much to tackle.

Since the best way to learn is to do, I am going to start another 30-day challenge for myself. My goal for the next 30 days is to select one object and blind contour and sketch it. In the book, Drawing for the Absolute and Utter Beginnerthere are some good exercises and things to think about, which I hope will help.  Also, I signed up for a four week beginning drawing class that starts in early January.

This is a kendama. It has a lot of different shapes. It's not a great start, but it's a start.


No comments:

Post a Comment