Sunday, November 20, 2016

Final Painting Class

Yesterday was the final painting class of the six sessions. It was good to retake this class. In the first set of lessons, it was all so new. I took in the information that I could. This time, I picked up on different things, including
  • Taking a short break mid-painting.
  • Working on the entire painting rather than focusing on one area until it's done and moving on to the next area.
  • Better paint strokes. 
The first one seems as though it should be simple to do, but it's not. Especially if a painting is not going well, the harder it is to walk away from it, even for five seconds. 

The other thing that made more sense is trying to capture an accurate impression of reality. This made more sense with being able to look at the same thing that Kat was painting, watching her paint, and seeing the finish product. In the moment, I could see the reality and part of her impression of the reality. Plus, her accuracy is pretty impressive. When she would outline an apple or a mug, it truly was that exact apple or mug. Watching her, it looked easy, but I can assure that it's not! Noticing this type of stuff, thinking about it, and trying to find the words to describe it is part of what I enjoy about all of this. It's a new way to look at and consider the world and I think with the processing of learning to create art, it's a never-ending journey.

We worked on landscape paintings yesterday. I cheated and worked on one that I drew ahead of time. I didn't get as far as I wanted. Hopefully, I'll find time to finish it today.




No comments:

Post a Comment