Thursday, April 8, 2021

Art 4 Shelter - The Cats In Knitted Hats Series

Today, I finished portrait #6 of a cat in a knitted hat and I think it might be the end of the cats in knitted hats project, at least for awhile or at least for Art 4 Shelter for this year. The first 3 were dropped off awhile ago, along with several other pieces. I will get the last 3 dropped off some time soon.

Although I posted about the project from the time it started back in January, I wanted one post where I can go back and look at all of them easily. Here they are in reverse order. The first two were 8" x 10".  The rest are 5" x 7".  

All of these, except for the first one were drawn from project photos on Ravelry. Looking up cats in knitted hats on Ravelry was a pleasant diversion during the pandemic and the people I reached out to kindly gave me permission to use their photos. I included each cat's name, even though the cats in question might have preferred to stay anonymous.

While it was fun working on these and I found that I adore the Neocolor crayons, it was also a good learning experience. I had to work on creating backgrounds, making minor to major adjustments from the source photos, and finally working a piece to completion. It also was a good challenge to mostly work on smaller pieces, since that's what Art 4 Shelter prefers.

Since I am adding some additional information to this post. I traded several messages with Sylvester's owner via Ravelry and it turns out that he was a rescue cat, actually a bottle-fed kitten rescued at 2 weeks old . It's nice that the (hoped for) sale of the art inspired by his cat-in-a-hat picture on Ravelry will support Simpson Housing Services in providing service to 1 person for 1 night at their shelter.  

#6 - Sylvester

#5 - Habibi

#4 - Kaki

#3 - Penny

#2 - Wolfie

Last, but not least, here is the cat who started it all. If Chandler was not such a sweetie and let me place my partially knitted brioche hat on top of his head and take a picture, none of this would have happened. Since that time, he has developed more sense and does not pose for hat-related pictures. 

#1 - Chandler

2 comments:

  1. love love love love love love love these. i stopped by too see what you have posted lately because the trial is making me crazy and my husb is not into me screaming out loud at the computer screen all day long (i watch on the computer). i needed to see your cats in hats thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them! I have not been watching the trial. I suspect my reaction would be the same. The most I can do is read the paper and several news sites each day.

      Delete