Thursday, October 25, 2018

Gesture Practice

Tonight was the second night of class. One thing that I really appreciated was that the instructor demonstrated a gesture sketch for me. As I was watching him draw, it made sense, in a different way, what he was doing as he was working out shapes and relationships. He finished it by making lines which more clearly defined the objects.

While it made sense to me in the moment, it’s not as clear to me now that I am home. Still, I came home and practiced three quick sketches of items in the kitchen. While I am trying to loosely show the object’s relationships to each other, it’s still way to easy to go to the outlines.

The best of the three is this one, although I really should have placed a line showing the edge of the kitchen counter and should have show the shadows underneath the objects. Still, the proportions and relative size of each object were pretty good, except for the sad delicata squash in the lower left. While this may not be a gesture drawing, it’s less fussy than what I usually do.


No comments:

Post a Comment