Sunday, October 28, 2018

Fussy-Wussy Versus Just Do It

Yesterday, I fell down the rabbit hole of fussy-wussy-ness. I am trying to figure out  how much paint versus how much diluted medium (which is another variable to figure out) will get me the results I want. This painting was on a piece of hardboard, which was lighted painted with medium and allowed to fully dry. This acted like a clear gesso. I set up the board in the table easel and painted away. I  did want some of the panel to show.

Overall, I went too far both by over-painting, which it may not look like, since I also over diluted my paint. Towards the end, the paint mixture started to run down the panel. At that point, I decided I was done and let it dry flat.

This may sound negative. It's not. It was a worthy experiment.

#277 - Acorn Squash - 6" x 6" - hardboard
Today, I had very little time to paint, so I went with a different experiment. Not being familiar with the materials is bringing out too much fussiness, so I just decided to practice and get on with it. I used a stiffer brush and that seemed to work better. 

#278 - Onion - 5" x 5" - paper

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! WOw! I'm loving this! I think I want to take Carl's class too!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a good class. I hope the current class you are teaching is going well! I'm sorry I missed Friday night's open studio.

      Delete
  2. I'm so much enjoying your notes on Carl's class and watching your progress. Carl should give you a commission on how many people you recruit to his classes. What you have been doing is beautiful. I love the squash.

    ReplyDelete