Monday, February 13, 2017

Daily Sketching Recap

He's been very supportive of my drawing and painting. He may have been just the slightest bit less supportive when I said, please don't eat those cookies yet, because I want to sketch them. I had already eaten mine.

02/09/17 - milano cookies
I spent a long weekend at a juggling and unicycle festival. It's the sort of place where seeing things like this goes with the territory. I don't know who made the balloon dress, although I could make a good guess. There were a lot of people that tried it on over the course of the weekend. My favorite was this one,


It was a busy weekend with so many things to do all at once. I managed to slow down and do a little sketching each day. People are hard. People who move are harder. The first night, I tried to capture a ball juggler. I had trouble with the lines of the face, but I think I nailed the posture. Ball jugglers, especially male adolescents, hunch the back of the shoulders up and slightly collapse the front of their chests. Many of them walk around with this posture all of the time, even when they aren't juggling.

02/10/17 - ball juggler
During the raffle, I sketch a guy sitting in front of me. This guy goes to a lot of juggling festivals and always wears denim overalls. I tried to sketch other people, but they moved around too much.

02/11/17 - man sitting on bleachers
I also tried to sketch the table and table legs of the banquet table used during the raffle, but never quite got the correct lines and angles. With all of the hubbub going on around me, I did enjoy making my own island of quiet and trying to really "see" the banquet table. When I got tired of that, I tried sketching a unicycle on its side. It was hard to see, since it was a bit far away. Since I couldn't see its shadow, I couldn't figure out how to just add one, so it looks a bit as though it's floating in space.

02/11/17 - unicycle

No comments:

Post a Comment