Monday, June 27, 2016

Value Study - Take 1

I indulge in a different hobby every Monday night, making it hard to find the time to paint.  To get better at mixing paint colors and seeing color values, I decided to do a quick exercise.

My goal is to replicate the values along the gray scale with a different paint color each week.  My self imposed rules are:

  • Start with a color that you think will fall in the middle of the scale at 5.
  • Bounce around the scale.  Don't go completely in order, but try to stay with the same color.
  • At each point on the scale, use the same paint color on a paper primed with black gesso and paper primed with white gesso.
  • Just mix the colors.  Don't get slow and fussy.  
I ordered a gray scale and value finder  (along with paint brushes) which should arrive this week and should make it easier to evaluate the results.

This week I mixed a saturated purple.  Big surprise!!  Here's what I see in this first attempt:
  • My first color was pretty close to a 5.  
  • Especially on the black background, the values are too close.
  • On the white background, the mid-range colors were purple-red, while the lights and darks were bluer.
  • My lighter valued colors need to be much lighter.  This is not a surprise to me.  Hopefully, this helps with my color-mixing.


This was fun and I have 4 more weeks, so I can see what happens as I keep trying this.

No comments:

Post a Comment