Saturday, May 21, 2016

Timed Paintings

I would like to develop a fresher, looser style, as part of developing general painting skills.  In all aspects of life, I can get bogged down in the fussy and exact details.  

In painting class, we did an exercise with timed paintings, which helps.  You don't think so much. You do.  It's good practice.  The hubby, who knows about music, said to me, "so this is like practicing scales". Yup, it is.

Here is a series of timed paintings from 05/19 to today.  In the top row, I gave myself unlimited time to draw the pansy, but only 10 minutes to paint.  In the bottom row, I gave myself 15 minutes to draw and paint.  In both instances, the blue background was my second attempt.


These are on paper and each pansy takes up 2" x 2".  This was difficult to do with orange.  With any colors that use a lot of yellow, it takes more than one layer of paint.  Otherwise, things are too translucent.

It was a good exercise and it fit in well with being busy the last several days.  I'm not thrilled with the result, but that's not really the point of the exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment