Thursday, June 9, 2016

Still At It!

I have missed a handful of days where I haven't drawn or painted a thing and that's okay.  Other parts of my life needed the time and attention.  It's not anything bad. Early summer just gets busy with gardening on top of everything else.

Today, I had a break between client commitments in the middle of the day.  I went to a coffee shop, got some ice tea and a treat and worked on drawing a bit. In the book, Drawing for the Absolute and Utter Beginner by Claire Watson Garcia, there are a couple of exercises where you try to recreate a line drawing by drawing it upside down.  In the exercises so far, she wants people to go very slowly, but also to make confident marks.

It felt good to do this and to focus on it. I live in the verbal side of my head, so much it is both relaxing and a relief to get so fully engaged in something that the words just go away.  They aren't important.  Doing is important and where it's at. When I emerge, my brain feels refreshed.  I haven't thought about it in this way much, but this must be part of the motivation to paint and draw.

After I did several of the line drawings, I decided to do a value sketch of one of my pictures of Ella. The direction or how the pencil marks were made did not matter.  The focus was on capturing values.


In looking at this, it's amazing to me that the specific marks/lines really don't matter.  It is all about the values!

No comments:

Post a Comment