Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

My January project is working through this book.  It’s one of those things I’ve been meaning to do for a long time, but never have quite gotten around to it.  I have had a bad habit of gathering materials to learn about drawing and painting and not using them.  Working through one of the classics, which has always intimidated me, is a good start. 

Today, I did the the first ubiquitous exercise where you copy a Picasso drawing upside down to bring about the shift to the non-verbal side of your brain.  It’s in chapter 4 of the version of the book that I have.


I first started feeling the brain shift, that happened again today when I drew upside down and that the author talks about in this chapter, for awhile now.  When I was done with this exercise, I remembered this post and the day I wrote it.  I was feeling overworked and frazzled.  After I drew that day, my brain felt refreshed and like it had been on vacation.  

I was really resistant to doing today’s exercise from the book and some of the exercises for the pre-instruction drawings, but it’s been been helpful so far so I will continue to plow ahead.  

No comments:

Post a Comment