Monday, August 27, 2018

Two Quick Paintings

I dashed this one off quickly, yesterday. This tomato weighed in at 1 1/4 pounds. I haven't painted from life with a viewfinder recently, which made the viewfinder awkward to use.

#255 - Kellogg's Breakfast - 8" x 8" - paper
Originally, I took this morning off work, since I was going to go to the fair to sketch. Instead, I decided to stay at home for the entire day and catch up on a few things. That may sound like a crazy trade off, but I've been suffering from overdoing-it-itus and need to slow down. 

Since I haven't had much time to paint, I did another quick painting this morning. This was painted from a picture I took on my first outing to try plein air painting with Michele and Kat. I feel like I'm seeing more in the source picture, but can't capture what I want to capture, yet. 

I think my recent cat painting turned out better, since I feel like I have a better "understanding" of cats as a subject matter (especially my cats), since I've painted so many of them.  

#256 Minnehaha Creek Scene - 8" x 10" 0 paper 
Since it's tomato season and the rest of the week is going to be busy, my plan for the week is to do some 10-minute tomato paintings. 

3 comments:

  1. I love that tomato! Did you use your new red paint for it? The colors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not use the new color, but I did use some of the Yellow Ochre in with Quin Magenta and Hansa Yellow Opaque. It may earn a little spot on my palette between the other two colors.

      Delete
  2. I can almost taste that tomato! Fair sketching sounds like it might have been fun but nerve-wracking at the same time. I've been dragging my WS pencils around and have at least been able to make a few drawings in my lab book at work to the amusement of my boss when I'm supposed to be all science-y. Looking forward to your 10-min tomato paintings!

    ReplyDelete