Tuesday, August 14, 2018

That Went Well

I have been doing my  daily, value sketches, but I've been doing them from life and that's making it hard to get the types of examples I need. Since the purpose is to figure out massing shapes, which means editing out details, plus deciding where to place the shifts in values, I decided to go the easy route last night. I finally signed up for Sktchy. It's only available on IOS, not Android.

For this sketch, I started with the shapes and value in the hand on the left and continued to draw shapes and values until I captured the person. The face should be a tad wider. Given that I drew it like puzzle pieces coming together rather than capturing the whole and filling in details, it's not bad. Actually, I'm surprised that the dimensions of the head were pretty good, given that I focused on the left arm and body first. Plus, the resemblance to the actual person is pretty good.


Even though I go off the deep end at times regarding values, it still is amazing to me that with 3 values and the shapes of those values, you can end up with a decent sketch or painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment