Friday, April 27, 2018

Today's Painting, Plus A Few Historical Ones

This is how today's painting, plus how 11 older paintings,look.


This blog post could have been titled "Spring Cleaning". I overworked today's painting. While I generally do not walk away from a painting without finishing it when I stopped to think if I could practice "fixing" today's painting or could somehow use it to learn from, the answer in both cases was no. As long as I don't get the habit of doing this very often, I think it's okay to do from time to time.

Actually once I made this decision, it was time to do some additional spring cleaning, so I gessoed over 11 old paintings which were done on hard board. In each case, the painting had been photographed and included on this blog. For many of them, there was something about them that I liked so I had propped them up near where I paint in the basement. I just didn't like them enough and I was ready to let them go. For example, I had 3 separate leaf paintings. I kept the one I liked the best and covered up the other two.

It felt great and very liberating!

No comments:

Post a Comment