Sunday, April 8, 2018

A New Pursuit

I signed up for Roz Stendahl's online class on making a simple round spine book. This class is only offered once per year, so I leaped and signed up for it. Roz is interested in people being able to make simple books at home without fancy equipment.

Today, I tore down my paper using a bone folder. There were two sheets of 40 inch by 26 inch paper, which were torn into pieces of approximately 5 inches by 13 inches. Each piece was folded in half so that the final dimension was around 6.5 inches wide. The process is fascinating in building a tear diagram so that your final folds are on the grain and also getting the two different sides of the paper to match when you build your signatures (stacks of paper).

In spite of watching the videos and practicing on some other paper, my initial tears were a bit sloppy. The top picture is my first tear. The next picture was in the middle of tearing up my paper. The bottom picture is one of my final tears.




The other thing I learned was to be careful about making a crease on the edge of the folded paper. While her instruction was spot on, several times, I was not as careful as I should have been. 



Once I started the mantra of "gentle, gentle" in my head, I didn't have this happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment