Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Still Painting Leaves

While there are far fewer leaves, there are still lovely ones to be found on the ground. I did both of these paintings in the last week, but am just now finding the time to post them. For quite awhile, I've been painting from pictures. In painting these from "life" I find that my drawing is at an awkward stage. When I draw just to draw it's one thing. When I draw to paint, it's become this weird combination of using grid lines on the canvas and viewfinder, mixed with just trying to draw what I see. While the viewfinder is useful tool, it's also annoying. I can never seem to line up my eyes in the same way.

This top painting is actually the second one of the two. Some of my magenta paint got a funky consistency. I found that I could not paint with it anymore. It actually repelled the paint brush. Since I didn't want to waste it, I mixed it with some white gesso and primed my paper with that. I might do that again, since I have more funky magenta paint.

This leaf was easier to paint, since it was all one color, plus the veins on this leaf were a red/magenta color. This made it easier to see the values.

#154 - Leaf 2017 #3 - 8" x 8" - paper - alternative blue
It was more challenging to figure out the values in this one. I thought about taking a picture and looking at in shades of gray, but decided not to.

#153 - Leaf 2017 #2 - 6" x 6" - board - standard palette
 For both of these, the veins in the leaves are from the gesso showing through, which meant I was more controlled with brush strokes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment