Monday, November 13, 2017

Busy, Busy, Busy, Busy

In spite of being busy, busy, busy, busy, I have been drawing and painting every day. Although, it's not as much as I would like nor as much focused as I would like. Painting comes at the beginning of the day. If it's a work day, I may only spend 5-10 minutes, but that's better than skipping a day. Plus, it is a great way to start the day. No matter what the day is going to bring, I start it with a bit of high-quality me time. Drawing mostly comes at the end of the day. While I post almost all of my paintings, I'm only posting an occasional drawing.

I finished this painting yesterday. While I'm not thrilled with the paint strokes in the flower, I do like the colors. I found a new app to help with values. Value Viewer is app that I was using and I love that one, but it has not been updated to the new iOS. Notanizer is the app that I found last week and will use until, hopefully, Value Viewer gets updated.

#156 - Pansy in Purple Pot - 8" x 10" - alt blue
 I have also been drawing. I signed up for Liz Steel's Foundations class awhile back. I am only on the second lesson. This is partly because I've been busy and partly because I got distracted with leaves. I really enjoyed drawing leaves and I miss them.

This is a blind contour drawing from one of the exercises. It's almost relaxing to do these. You know you aren't going for a finished drawing, but you are working on getting your eyes and hands to work together better. While I was drawing this, I was thinking about edges and lines. While these never end up looking like much, I do see progress! I did not cheat at all by looking either time, so I was pleasantly surprised with the "relative" cohesion. In both drawings, I set up and used a box of Morton's salt with a bowl of small, homegrown potatoes in front.


This was followed up with a continuous line drawing. Those pesky ellipses are still a challenge and I didn't quite get the potatoes positioned in the bowl. The second try with just the bowl was better.  


Last, but not least, when I came home from work late one night rather frazzled, I did a partial drawing of a cut up pepper followed by drawing the right side again, since I wanted to improve upon my first attempt. It still surprises me how much my brain will feel almost cleansed after doing a bit of drawing where I am concentrating. After some of my long days at work, I've really needed that!



2 comments:

  1. This is so great Robin! It's fun to read these, and that pepper is incredible! I totally agree about drawing cleaning out your brain- good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, as always. I have been enjoying your posts about your 30 days of painting building / structures.

      Delete