Sunday, August 20, 2017

A Ducky Duck

On Friday, I stopped at Como Zoo on my way home from an appointment. I had my "good" paper pad with me, since it's going to be used for any and all drawing for the next week as a way to chip away at the idea that certain paper is precious and can only be used in special circumstances. I confess that I did feel mild discomfort using the "good" paper, but it was minor compared to my experience earlier this week. At some point while warming up, this concern faded away.

I continue to be fascinated by the flamingos, but only spend a few minutes with them each time. They move too much. When it gets frustrating, I usually try a few ducks before wandering off to other birds and animals. I lucked out on Friday and found the perfect duck. Since he was resting, he was mostly still. The light and his position let me see how his neck attached to his body and head. It was one of those "aha" moments. Prior to this when I sketched ducks, they didn't have necks.


Another bonus is that it makes flamingo necks make more sense, even though their necks are so much longer. Flamingo necks seem like they are made out of elastic, since they can stretch them so high or hold them close to their bodies, and the thickness of the neck varies upon the amount of stretch. Even so, they attach in a similar way, so this duck sketch gives me a better understanding of the equivalent part of a flamingo, making it a two for one revelation.

I also like that I was able to draw an eye that looks appropriately grounded in an eye socket.

2 comments:

  1. Dang Robin! Great duck! And it is funny how drawing an animal and trying to get it to look "real" makes you appreciate the underlying anatomy. Looking at skeletons of critters may help you too- I like knowing how the skull looks, especially for horsey animals...
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait for the Bell Museum to open back up. By the way, I love today's kitten painting!

      Delete