Sunday, August 27, 2017

State Fair - Sketching Experience #3

Today was my third visit to the State Fair. It was a day to take in the sites and sounds of the fair. One of the highlights from today were going to one of the Minnesota Cooks presentations that featured friends of mine from York Farm. Another highlight was going to the 1 pm presentation in the Fine Arts building where I got to hear a watercolor artist, John Salminen, give a presentation and a demo.

As far as sketching goes, I learned a valuable lesson. Either sketch earlier in the day or make sure you know which days the animal barns turn over. That along with making a rookie error of forgetting that there is another animal barn way in the back made life a bit challenging. While I didn't really want to sketch cows that was my only option besides horses and I decided that cows would be easier.

I only had about 40 minutes, but that was okay. In truth, I think I was a little hung-over from sketching yesterday.

Here is the sketch that I liked the best.


None of the cows that I tried to sketch stayed very still. While I wanted to work on faces, it was challenging. My last sketch was a quick one of a cow's body, since this cow was eating.


The other interesting experience was going to the Education building and seeing the art created by kids from 1st grade to 12th grade who are in 4-H. I enjoyed looking at the drawings and paintings by these kids and young adults. Some of the work was amazing, but I was impressed by all of the kids putting their work out there. For a brief moment, I was a bit envious. I don't know why the drawing and painting bug didn't bit me earlier in my life. While I was feeling this way, I heard a man with his wife and young child bemoan that he just couldn't do any of this. He just could not draw. Give him a piece of wood and a saw and he could do something with it, but he just could not draw.

So many people feel this way and it's simply not true. I wanted to tell the guy that, but I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment