Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Do Not Paint Right Before Bedtime

I try to draw or paint a little bit everyday.  The longer that I do it, the clearer it becomes that this is the best way to improve.  Not everything works out. Sometimes, it seems like it's necessary to get the failures out, so the better stuff can emerge.

Some days, it's so hard to find time. If the only time is right before bedtime, I really, really need to stick to drawing, either a quick sketch or a drawing that will become a painting.  Picking up the paint brush right before bedtime is almost always the wrong decision.  Last night before bedtime, I started painting a cat, decided it was a disaster, and gessoed over it.  Was it a disaster?  I think so, but I don't know.  I really should have left it, come back to it today, and decided today.

This morning, I had an email newsletter from Jen Hewett.  She does beautiful block prints, mostly on fabric. If you are interested in block printing in this, take a look at some of her 2014 work when she did one fabric block print over 52 weeks or better yet sign up for her occasional online class.  I took it this spring and it was a blast.  I also subscribed to her mailing list. This part of her newsletter really spoke to me:

"Learning from the process is something that I emphasize when I teach. The process is just as important as the end result, and rushing it in the wrong places - especially before you've mastered a craft - will lead to disappointing work. It's better to put in the work and learn from your hands".  Jen Hewitt

No comments:

Post a Comment