Saturday, November 9, 2019

Overworked

Frequently, I dismiss something I’m not pleased with as overworked. It’s been a blanket term as in “oh, that’s overworked”. I haven’t thought about the distinct problems inherent in overworking. Things like losing freshness and/or edges and ending up with muddy colors. So instead of the general dismissal, It would be better to accept the invitation to go deeper and do a little evaluation.

So after this preamble, you might think my next piece was a disaster, but it wasn’t. I am happy with the end result, as well as what I learned while painting it. However, it got me thinking about overworking, because I came close to that tipping point, but didn’t fall off the cliff.


I easily could have stopped working on it sooner and probably should have, but I don’t think it’s overworked because of there are edges. Also, the background was done with a light hand versus really, really, really working on, layering in, and taking out color in the pear, so there’s some variety. Lastly, the colors didn’t end up all muddy. This is thanks to my friend who was over yesterday afternoon painting with me and to my hubby who was cleaning the gutters out. I took frequent painting breaks to visit, make tea, or help the hubby move the ladder, so I let things dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment