Thursday, May 16, 2019

How Do You Paint A Color You Can’t Name?

On top of that, brown tabby cats are not in fact brown. I’m not sure what color they are and I am not sure how to mix a paint color to represent what color they are, but I am certain that they are not brown. The really dark stripy parts are black. The slightly lighter colors are taupe/purple and taupe/beige. The lighter stripes are more straw colored. Nowhere do I see brown.

Who names these things? Although I guess it’s easier to call them brown tabbies than to call them stripy cats with colors which are hard to name.

In my zeal to mix an appropriate color, I think I covered up too much of the black gesso.

#335 - Mr. Biggs - 8” x 8” - paper
It’s funny in life and in the picture, his notched ear stands out, but it doesn’t in the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment