Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Aspect Ratio = Very Vertical

Currently, Kat has been doing some long vertical paintings. Here is an example and here is another one. It's had me thinking about the subject matter or composition for this type of format. Mostly, I paint square or rectangular which isn't that far off of being a square (5" x 7" or 8" x 10").

On Friday morning, I had breakfast with my hubby and nephew. My nephew showed me a picture of his cat and, hurrah, it called out for cropping into a long vertical piece. Even better, the picture had very dramatic lighting. Sometimes, you put out a small intention in the world and it arrives.

The shape of the left eye needs a little fixing and I can see a few touch ups which are needed, but otherwise I am pretty pleased with this. This is Mr. What Color Is He Anyway, but that's not as important with most of his body in dark, dramatic lighting. Tomorrow, I'll finish it and I am sure that I will paint from the source picture again.

I love how the paws drape over. This is a 5" x 10".


No comments:

Post a Comment