Sunday, February 17, 2019

Constant Vigilance

This morning, I caught a glimpse of the painting I started last night out of the corner of my eye and I realized that I was back to painting the object in my picture, not what I actually see.  My most recent painting is not finished.  It's a fish in an aquarium at the Minnesota Zoo.  The painting before that is #297 (the rabbit) shown below.  I don't know why I drift back to painting the object versus what I see again and again and again.  I guess for my brain, what I think I know wants to push aside what I actually see. 

When my eyes win and I can paint what I see (in terms of shapes and values) without regard for the actual subject matter, it just goes better.  When I don't, it feels like I'm fighting with myself when I'm painting and I'm not fond of the process or the end result.  One symptom is that my paint strokes are clunky and generally awful.

I worked a little on the fish painting today and got back to painting what I see and enjoyed my time so much more.  Maybe tomorrow, I'll finish the fish painting.

In the meantime, here are some other paintings from the week. I did paint each day!

#295 - Winter Cardinal - 5" x 7" - paper
While I like the picture, I didn't like my executive, so I got it another try.

#296 - Winter Cardinal The Sequel - 5" x 7" - paper
It's still not what I want it to be, but it's better.

This is the rabbit painting.  Overall, I am not happy with it.  Rather than listing the reasons, I'll end on a positive note.  I do like some of the colors I mixed.

#297 - Rabbit In Raspberry Canes

No comments:

Post a Comment