Monday, July 2, 2018

The Last June Landscape Painting

On Saturday, I got together with friends to paint outside. I can't wait to do this in the fall. We went to Minnehaha Park. While it was a very warm weekend, it wasn't too bad in the park. It helps not having any buildings around, plus there was a breeze. In typical fashion, my brain went into overdrive and anything I know about painting flew away. One suggestion was to focus on a very small composition. That is good advice and I will it a try next time. I hope to go out to paint plein air a few times by myself before I get together with friends in August to paint outside. We will see how that goes!

Instead of showing Saturday's paintings, here's what I finished today. It was painted from a picture. I drew it out on Friday, so it counts as a June landscape painting.

#239 - Bridge In Minnehaha Park - 8" x 8" - paper
I decided to show the stones of the bridge using a number 4 brush. I think it looks a  bit cheesy, but you don't know unless you try these things! I like the person and umbrella on the right (the red and white one).

My commitment to work on landscapes for the rest of June is done, so I need to figure out what to focus on next. Since I feel like I'm tightening up, I probably will do several rounds of 10 minute paintings.

1 comment:

  1. Stones not cheesy! I like square edges of the stones and the soft edges of the trees and then the curves of the umbrellas.

    ReplyDelete