Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Bridge In Minnehaha Park Revisit

It's July, so it's time for this month's Art 4 Shelter painting. I decided to revisit the Minnehaha park bridge with a different cropping.

With limited time, it took 3 days to finish. Here it is after two.


I finished it last night.  In hindsight, this composition draws my attention under the bridge. Sigh.

#242 - Minnehaha Park Bridge - 5" x 7" - paper

I'm still not sure about using the small brush to show the bricks in the bridge (at least I didn't paint each individual brick), but I don't know how to approach it otherwise. I like the trees and water. This is the first time I've painted water where I think it looks like water and implies movement. For some reason, the patterns in both the water and trees "made sense" this time, so it was easier to be truer to the values, especially with making the light parts light enough (relearning this crucial point for about the 199th's time at this point in my learning process).

I painted both the trees and water fairly quickly without multiple layers of paint or getting too fussy, so I think they look more "alive". Once I go down the rabbit hole of overworking an area, I can never get a sense of  "freshness" back.

No comments:

Post a Comment