Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Rescued, Mostly

This one did not have a good start. Several months ago, I would have left it half-finished, but I am trying to push myself a bit more. I put this aside on Saturday, but returned to it on Sunday, Monday and today. My goal was to rescue it from something that I would not post on the blog to something that I would. The face angles of the face and overall shape are still a bit off, but it feels like I rescued it, mostly. Trying to go further with it would have changed the experience from learning to joyless.

#150 - Cat - 6" x 6" - paper - palette with alternative blue
My alternative blue, ultramarine blue (#1400), is not as opaque as my usual color, phthalo blue red shade (#1260). This should not be a surprise, since the back of each tube of Golden Heavy Body Acrylic paint shows several key features about the paint color. One of  these is the transparency versus opacity of the color. Still, there is a vast difference between reading the back of a paint tube and experiential learning. This experience is giving me a new understanding of transparency and opacity and what that means when you mix colors together.

No comments:

Post a Comment