Saturday, April 8, 2017

Spending Time With African Violets

My Aunt always has African violets. When the plants are lush and full, she will start new ones. I warmed up with a partial doodle of one of the mature plants using a micron brush pen. Using the brush pen meant that I couldn't go for as much detail.


I moved to one of the starter plants and gave that a couple of tries. 


Lastly, I tried a simple watercolor, using a travel watercolor kit. Watercolor is tricky. It also does not lead itself to control, which is probably the understatement of the century!


After all of this, I walked away thinking about choices, practicing and trying new things, and not judging oneself too harshly. There are so many choices and so much to learn! One of the things that fascinates me is how much information is needed to convey meaning or convey an object.  I trend towards offering more detail and want to get to a place where I present less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment