Monday, November 5, 2018

Another Look Back

Back in June, I did a long post in "honor" of using up one of my first spiral-bound Bee Paper books with paintings. It was the first 9" x  9" book and I started painting in it, not long after I started painting.  Prepping pages with gesso is easier with multiple books, so I purchased a second book in June 2016.  I finished this book several weeks ago.

This is the last page.  It was one of my earlier, practice apples. I like that it shows that I am trying to expand how I paint, so I can learn more. This was painted on 10/21/18.

#269 - Practice Apple - 8" x 8" - paper

Here is the first page. I still remember being excited having the highlights in the water turn out.

Water Lily from October 2016

This painting goes to October 2016 when I was taking the second set of classes from Kat.  At the second class, I was struggling with seeing values.  The white powdered sugar on the donut was throwing me off in class and I declared the powdered donut to be my frenemy.

Break Time from October 2016

Here is my favorite painting from this book and, perhaps, from all time. I think that's because it was such a powerful learning experience about values. It's from Thanksgiving last year and I wrote about it here.

Hammet Value Painting from November 2017

There are a number of other cat paintings in this book and here is a sample.

Ella from February 2017

Hammett from February 2018

Chandler from August 2018

While I painted some dogs. None of them turned out very well. I also painted some birds, including these two. 

Chicken from January 2017
Hummingbird from August 2018

I did timed painting exercises in this book, including this one I did as an exercise while I was taking my third set of painting classes from Kat this spring.

Timed Painting Exercise - May 2018

When painting club was operating one of the homework assignments was to paint a sink.  This particular assignment made me nuts.  While I still struggle with composition, today, I feel like I have a tiny bit of knowledge.  With this assignment, I didn't have a clue.  I tried and tried and tried to paint my downstairs bathroom sink and each one was a disaster in so many ways, including this one.

Wretched Bathroom Sink Painting from May 2017

I wanted at least one decent sink painting when painting club met the next time, so I added a cat.  Fortunately, one of the professional cat models in my home used to like hanging out in the sink.

Chandler In Sink from May 2017

Last, but not least, when I was in the last 25% of the pages in this book, I went on a spree of painting landscapes or outdoor scenes.

Farm Buildings from June 2018

Minnehaha Park Umbrellas from June 2018
Since I bounce around painting in different spiral books, on loose paper, and on hardboard, it takes a long time to fill up a book, so it feels like a milestone to do so.  It's a good excuse to look back!!  

1 comment:

  1. A fun written post...hey you have come a long way! May the next book hold good art energy!

    ReplyDelete